Re: Jim West's reply to - I Peter 1:7: Whose Praise, Glory and Honor?

From: Byron P. Knutson (byronk@open.org)
Date: Sat May 15 1999 - 13:33:45 EDT

Cindy asked:
>Is the praise, glory and honor mentioned in I Pet. 1:7 to be applied to
QEOS,
>IHSOU CRISTOU, or the readers themselves?

To which Jim replied:

"Well, never would the NT writers say that people are worthy of praise and
honor (for theological reasons). So that narrows it down to Jesus or God.
And since Jesus is described as the medium through which the manifestation
of God is made clear, it is God himself who receives praise and glory for
that revelation."
___
 I think Jim over stated the case here. Just a few verses to illustrate:

1 Corinthians 4:5 Therefore judge nothing before the
time, until the Lord come, who both will bring to light the
hidden things of darkness, and will make manifest the
counsels of the hearts: and then shall every man have
PRAISE of God.

 1 Corinthians 2:7 But we speak the wisdom of God in a
mystery, even the hidden wisdom, which God ordained
before the world unto OUR GLORY:

John 5:44 How can ye believe, which receive honour
one of another, and seek not the HONOUR that cometh
FROM GOD only?

Just food for thought.

Respectfully,
Byron Knutson