Re: hOTI clause Acts 17:18

From: Mary Pendergraft (pender@wfu.edu)
Date: Tue May 25 1999 - 15:40:57 EDT

clayton stirling bartholomew wrote:

> Who is speaking at the end of Acts 17:18
>
> hOTI TON IHSOUN KAI THN ANASTASIN EUHGGELIZETO.
>
> I have always assumed that this was a explanatory comment by the
> narrator, not an extension of the complaint leveled by the Athenians:
>
> hOI DE, ZENWNDAIMONIWN DOKEI KATAGGELEUS EINAI
>
> After reading of Fitzmyer (AB) and Barrett (ICC) it seems like the hOTI
> clause is being treated as words of the Athenians. This is not stated
> outright, but seems to be implied. I could be misreading Fitzmyer and
> Barrett.
>
> The hOTI clause still looks to me like an interjected comment by the
> narrator.

I'm away from my books so I can't look at the commentaries, but I think
you're right. One reason for taking the hOTI clause as belonging to the
narrator and not to hOI DE is the tense: The imperfect EUHGGELIZETO,is
possible after the present DOKEI, but seems to me less likely than if it
explains why the Athenians made their comments.

Mary

Mary Pendergraft
Associate Professor of Classical Languages
Wake Forest University
Winston-Salem NC 27109-7343