re: Hebrews 1:8

From: Carlton Winbery (winberyc@popalex1.linknet.net)
Date: Wed May 26 1999 - 22:37:04 EDT

>At 07:42 PM 5/26/99 -0500, you wrote:
>
>>Shouldn't Hebrews 1:8 be translated "God is your throne" and not "Your
>>throne, O' God"?
>
>i take it as a nominative of exclamation, something like-
>"God, your throne, is forever! It almost sounds like throne is accuasative-
>but its not- it is an exclamation. Almost like our "O God, you are
>smart..." etc.

The editors of the UBS4 text think that hO QEOS is nominative used for
vocative (in spite of the fact that most masculine sing. nouns have a
separate vocative form) and then hO QRONOS is the subject of the understood
verb ESTIN. That matches the parallel which follows also with an understood
verb. There are a number of places where the nominative is used in the NT
(John 19:3, 20:28, etc) for the vocative and, of course, other than
masculine sing. all other nouns use the first inflected form for both
nominative and vocative.

Dr. Carlton L. Winbery
Foggleman Professor of Religion
Louisiana College