re: Hebrews 1:8

From: Edgar Foster (questioning1@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu May 27 1999 - 11:38:49 EDT

Dear Listmembers,

I understand Heb. 1:8 to be a subject nominative. In the context of
Psalm 45, the king of Judah is being addressed. If the passage were to
be construed as a vocative or nominative of address, then the king of
Judah would be equated with YHWH. While it is possible that a king
could be called ELOHIM in the OT, it seems best to construe Heb. 1:8 as
"God is your throne."

Edgar

--- Jim West <jwest@highland.net> wrote:
> At 07:42 PM 5/26/99 -0500, you wrote:
>
> >Shouldn't Hebrews 1:8 be translated "God is your
> throne" and not "Your
> >throne, O' God"?
>
> i take it as a nominative of exclamation, something
> like-
> "God, your throne, is forever! It almost sounds
> like throne is accuasative-
> but its not- it is an exclamation. Almost like our
> "O God, you are
> smart..." etc.
>
> Best,
>
> Jim
>
> +++++++++++++++++++++++++
> Jim West, ThD
> email- jwest@highland.net
> web page- http://web.infoave.net/~jwest
>

> ---
> B-Greek home page: http://sunsite.unc.edu/bgreek
> You are currently subscribed to b-greek as:
> questioning1@yahoo.com
> To unsubscribe, forward this message to
> leave-b-greek-329W@franklin.oit.unc.edu
> To subscribe, send a message to