Re: THi ELEUQERIAi in Gal 5:1 DE NOVO

From: Joseph Brian Tucker (music@riverviewcog.org)
Date: Thu Jun 03 1999 - 15:52:27 EDT

>>From: Edgar Krentz

>>I think the above interpretation stumbles over the asyndetic structure
of
>>5:1. If it were to be attached in some manner to 4:31, it would require
an
>>OUN or some other adverb, or an addition of a relative pronoun.
>>
>>As it stands the lack of this indicates a sharp break in the thought.

>>Thanks, Edgar ~

>[I had to look up asyndetic!] So that even given the rather abruptive
>nature of Paul's rhetorical style, the text is nevertheless probably
>corrupt, as Carl pointed out. I can live with that.

>George Blaisdell
>Roslyn, WA

Greetings

After reading the discussions today one area that I see as a possible
solution is to understand THi ELEUQERIAi not as instrumental but as
emphatic. This could account for the asyndetic structure. C.F.D. Moule
points this out Idiom p. 44. this use occurs with the dative in Romans 8:24
THi ELPIDI ESWQHMEN (for hope we are saved). This expression reflects back
on Rom 8:20. The possibility of the purpose use might relate to Deissmann's
discovery that THi ELEUQERIAi was used in the sacral manumission procedures
of the day to emphasize purpose Light from the Ancient East, 326.

Brian Tucker M.A.
Riverview, MI