'instrumental-comitative dative' - beginners guide to grammatical terms

From: Jonathan Ryder (jpr1001@cam.ac.uk)
Date: Wed Jun 16 1999 - 03:27:59 EDT

"Carl W. Conrad" wrote:

> >24 DIO KAI PAREDWKEN AUTOUS hO QEOS EN TAIS EPIQUMIAIS TWN KARDIWN AUTWN
> >EIS AKAQARSIAN TOU ATIMAZESQAI TA SWNATA AUTWN EN(!) EAUTOIS
> >
> >27 OMOIWS TE KAI ARSENES AFENTES THS FUSIKHN CRHSIN THS QHLEIAS EXEKAUQHSAN
> >EN TH OREXEI AUTON EIS ALLHLOUS ARSENES EN(!) ARSESIN THN ASCHMOSUNHN
> >KATERGAZOMENOI KAI THN ANTIMISQIAN HN EDEI THS PLANHS AUTWN EN(!) EAUTOIS
> >APOLAMBANONTES
>
> I would understand each instance of EN that you mark with exclamation mark
> in these verses as an instrumental-comitative dative and use "with" to
> convey the sense into English.

Is there anywhere on the web where one can get a definition of
'instrumental-comitative dative', or for that matter if not on the web then any
printed resource that anyone recommends.

While we're at it, I'm sure there are others who are just as bewildered at times as I
when some of these grammatical terms are used, especially as some work with different
sets of terms which they would allow etc etc. I'm all for those who go for 9
genitives instead of 39 (arbitrary numbers)

So, can anyone suggest a beginners guide to all the different types of genitive,
dative, aorist etc (preferably the fewer the better!)?

If only that we might be speaking intelligibly to one another in English whilst
trying to understand the greek ...

Thanks

Jonathan Ryder