Re: How to recognize hendiadys?

From: Maurice A. O'Sullivan (mauros@iol.ie)
Date: Mon Jun 21 1999 - 09:16:26 EDT

At 19:49 19/06/99, you wrote:
>I am interested how to recognize hendiadys.

You can find three examples of hendiadys in Clasical Greek by going to:
http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/cgi-bin/sourceindex?lookup=Smyth+1956

and entering: 3025 in the search box

to view the very brief entry in Smyth for this.

As for New Testament occurrences, have you checked Vol III of Moulton's
"Grammar of New Testament Greek"?

On p.335 you will find;

" A chain of dependant genetives, not liked by the N.T writers, is avoided
by the use of hendiadys: Mk. 6:26 ( not _oaths and guests_ but _oaths
sworn before guests_ ) Lk 2:47 ( not _his intelligence and answers_ but
_the intelligence of his answers_ ) 21:15, Ac. 1:25, 14:17, 23:6 ( hope
of the resurrection ) Ro 1:5, 2 Ti. 4:1. Tit. 2:13, Ja 5:10, 1 P. 4:14, 2
P. 1:16"

Taking just the first instance given, it is hardly necessary to point out
that just modern translators, but also the AV, do not see eye to eye with
Turner ( the author of vol. III ). It is however discussed by Gundry in:
Gundry, Robert H. Mark; A Commentary on His Apology for the Cross. Grand
Rapids: Eerdmans, 1993.

Zerwick and Grosvenor take a middle position: " perhaps a hendidadys
......" with a cross-reference to art. 460 in:
Zerwick, Maximilian S.J. Biblical Greek: Illustrated by Examples. English
edn. Adapted from the fourth Latin edn. By Joseph Smith S.J. Rome, 1963.

So, I don't hold out much hope for you finding a hard-and-fast definition,
let alone a list <g>

Regards,
Maurice

Maurice A. O'Sullivan [ Bray, Ireland ]