Jn 19:30 KLINAS THN KEFALHN

From: John M. Harkins (smichael@bellatlantic.net)
Date: Tue Jun 29 1999 - 12:25:52 EDT

Carl Conrad wrote re PAREDWKEN TO PNEUMA:

Although I can find no instances of the phrase in LSJ or in lexical info
directly available to me, I think that L&N are right in claiming that
this is an "idiom".

19:30 b KAI KLINAS THN KEFALHN PAREDWKEN TO PNEUMA

L&N also indicate that the words THN KEFALHN KLINW also make an idiom
for "to lie down to sleep" (23.83). However, L&N indicate that in Jn
19:30 these words must not be understood idiomatically but as a case of
literally bowing the head. (16.16)

I have a mental block here of breaking an idiom and maintaining an
idiom with both idioms side by side. However the real help that I need
is to know that THN KEFALHN KLINW "to lie down to sleep" is not used as
a euphemism for dying. So far as I can determine there is no such
euphemistic usage. If any one would know anything to the contrary, I
would appreciate also knowing. Also any comment at all on this matter
would be gratefully received.

(Rev.) John M. Harkins