Re: Jn 19:30 KLINAS THN KEFALHN

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Tue Jun 29 1999 - 13:20:36 EDT

At 12:25 PM -0400 6/29/99, John M. Harkins wrote:
>Carl Conrad wrote re PAREDWKEN TO PNEUMA:
>
>Although I can find no instances of the phrase in LSJ or in lexical info
>directly available to me, I think that L&N are right in claiming that
>this is an "idiom".
>
>19:30 b KAI KLINAS THN KEFALHN PAREDWKEN TO PNEUMA
>
>L&N also indicate that the words THN KEFALHN KLINW also make an idiom
>for "to lie down to sleep" (23.83). However, L&N indicate that in Jn
>19:30 these words must not be understood idiomatically but as a case of
>literally bowing the head. (16.16)
>
>I have a mental block here of breaking an idiom and maintaining an
>idiom with both idioms side by side. However the real help that I need
>is to know that THN KEFALHN KLINW "to lie down to sleep" is not used as
>a euphemism for dying. So far as I can determine there is no such
>euphemistic usage. If any one would know anything to the contrary, I
>would appreciate also knowing. Also any comment at all on this matter
>would be gratefully received.

Would it help any to consider the usage of KOIMAOMAI and of EGEIROMAI and
ANISTAMAI, if not in Greek generally, yet at least within the GNT, to see
how the language of sleep and death are used interchangeably? I think, in
fact, you might well go back to the genealogies of Hesiod and the
conception there of the consanguinity of hUPNOS and QANATOS and cognate
words.

cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu