Re: Logos/Dao

From: Cindy Smith (cms@dragon.com)
Date: Mon Jul 12 1999 - 22:32:14 EDT

I read a Chinese commentator some time back who argued that, just as
the Logos in pagan Greek religious thought is the organizing force
through which the universe was created, so the Dao (Tao) in Chinese
religious thought is the organizing force through which the universe
was created. Therefore, a dynamic translation of Logos into Chinese
is Dao. Does anyone know both Greek and Chinese who can tell me if
Chinese translations of the Bible actually translate Logos with the
word Dao?

If this is not an appropriate question for this mailing list, just
email me. Thanks!

Cindy Smith
                                          Spawn of a Jewish Carpenter
GO AGAINST THE FLOW! \\ _\\\_ _///_ //
>IXOYE=('> <`)= _<< A Real Live Catholic in Georgia
cms@dragon.com // /// \\\ \\
cms@star-nets.com
cms@romancatholic.org

Delay not your conversion to the LORD,