Re: Romans 15.18-19

From: N & RJ Hanscamp (nar.hanscamp@clear.net.nz)
Date: Tue Jul 13 1999 - 22:46:52 EDT

Mark wrote:

>NIV, RSV and NASB all translate with something like this: "I will not
venture
>to speak of anything except what Christ has accomplished through me in
>leading the Gentiles to obey God by what I have said and done . . ." I am
>interested in this "except" clause. Surely the most natural reading is not
"I will
>not dare . . . except" but rather "I will not dare to speak of those things
which
>Christ has not done through me . . ." Is there any justification for the
standard
>translation?

Mark

CK Barrett uses a similar transl. to yours

"For I will not dare to say anything of the things which Christ did not
carry out through me for the obedience (1.5) of the Gentiles." (*The Epistle
to the Romans.* Black's New Testament Commentaries1957. p276)

He also notes the confusion of the sentence because of all that Paul is
trying to say in it.

Nigel

Nigel and Rebecca Hanscamp
Trinity Methodist Theological College
Auckland Consortium of Theological Education, New Zealand
Email: nar.hanscamp@clear.net.nz