Re: Wallace: Beyond the Basics

From: clayton stirling bartholomew (c.s.bartholomew@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Sun Aug 08 1999 - 07:28:57 EDT

I keep getting asked off list "what don't you like about Wallace?" This
question has a certain dejavu quality to it.

The best way understand this without a long lecture on Saussure,
Semiotics and other obscure issues is to do a comparison between Stanley
Porter's Idioms of NT Greek with Wallace. Take a look at how Porter
handles the greek case system and then look at Wallace. Note how
abstract Porter's treatment of the cases is. Note how Wallace gives 35
or so types of genitives.

You need to know some linguistics to understand why
Porter is different from Wallace on the theoretical level but you can
see the difference without knowing any linguistics at all.

Clay