Re: The LXX text

From: Jim West (jwest@Highland.Net)
Date: Wed Sep 01 1999 - 10:31:47 EDT

At 08:18 AM 9/1/99 -0400, you wrote:
>For my own personal use, I've nearly downloaded the Rahlfs' text from
>ccat.sas.upenn.edu. My question, since I haven't a clue regarding textual
>criticism related to LXX, is this: in your opinion, how good is this text?
>What are the alternatives printed or otherwise?

Rahlfs is an excellent edition for those interested in the LXX and its major
witnesses. It is not thorough enough for real textual criticism of the LXX-
for that you need the Goettingen edition.
Rahlfs is also the most accessible edition. It is to LXX studies what UBS 3
is to NT text critics--- useful on its own terms but not very useful in
terms of thoroughness.

Best,

Jim