RE: Which version of LXX?

From: Hultberg, Alan (alan_hultberg@peter.biola.edu)
Date: Thu Sep 02 1999 - 12:25:36 EDT

>>Brenton's edition --which is now well over a century old-- is pretty
commonly understood to be an inferior text to Rahlf's.

>>That said, Brenton's interlinear edition has the obvious advantage that it
is --so far as I am aware-- the only complete translation of the LXX into
English. But for detailed study of the LXX, Rahlf's is the standard.

>>Nichael

To expand only slightly:

Brenton's text is Alexandrinus (as far as I know, I think he might use another
ms occasionally). Rahlf's is a diplomatic text, relying on Vaticancus in the
main and supplying Alexandrinus or Sinaiticus, and occasionally other texts in
lacunae (and apparatus). The two major editions of the LXX (multi-volumes and
incomplete) are the Cambridge Septuagint (a diplomatic text using B for the
most part and relying heavily on the uncial mss, but supplying a full
apparatus) and the Goettingen Septuagint (a critical text with full
apparatus). Buy Rahlf's for sure, use Brenton along with it, if you need the
English translation (though realizing the texts will be different). If you're
planning to do scholarship in LXX, use Goettingen or Cambridge (along with
critical editions of individual OT books).

Hope that's not overkill.

Alan