Re: Mark

From: Jim West (jwest@Highland.Net)
Date: Wed Sep 01 1999 - 20:48:10 EDT

At 03:59 PM 9/1/99 -0500, you wrote:
>Hello,
>I was looking, and I always wondered why Mark had two endings: one long
>and one short. Could someone shed some light on that for me?
>
>Best,
>Mitchell Gray

the majority of ancient mansucripts of the gospel of mark end at verse 8 of
chapter 16. at some point in the history of transmission, scribes added the
material in vv 9ff. most likely they did this because if you stop at v 8
you have the women running from the tomb afraid. scribes then (and now)
werent too comfortable with such an ending so they combined other materials
and included some sayings of jesus and some appearence stories.

best,

jim