2 Sam 23:5c

From: dixonps@juno.com
Date: Fri Sep 03 1999 - 19:52:58 EDT

This passage is most bizarre.

hOTI PASA SWTHRIA MOU KAI PAN QELHMA,
hOTI OU MH BLASTHSHi hO PARANOMOS

The English translations vary from:

For will He not cause to prosper all my help and desire? (RSV)
For all my salvation and all my desire, will He not indeed make it grow?
(NASV)
for this is all my salvation, and all my desire, although he make it not
to grow (KJV)
For it is all my salvation, and all my desire, Although he maketh it not
to grow (ASV)
Will he not bring to fruition my salvation
and grant me my every desire? (NIV)

Whatever happened to the PARANOMOS? How in the world do the translators
leave that out, or is the LXX way off from the Hebrew?

I would have expected something like:

because He is all my salvation and all my desire,
because of this, the lawless will not prosper.

Thoughts?

Paul Dixon