Re: "Present-future" Tense (was "Ungrammatical ...")

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Mon Sep 06 1999 - 08:46:47 EDT

OFF-LIST;

I think I owe you something of an apology over my last message on this topic and your response. I don't really think there was any failure on your part to state clearly what you were saying about the "present-future" continuum so far as the non-indicative moods are concerned. What I was trying to do myself in my last message was to underscore those points on which I thought that you and I were in agreement. I wanted to make clear that I agreed with you on some important items of your longer presentation so as to be clear about the point on which I DISagreed with you: your argument that there's some particular association between the aorist and future even in the indicative because of that apparently-shared -S- marker, which seems to me a rather negligible coincidence.

Regards, cwc