Re: 1 Tim. 1:12

From: Carlton Winbery (winberyc@popalex1.linknet.net)
Date: Fri Sep 10 1999 - 19:26:44 EDT

Carl Conrad replied to;

>At 11:05 AM +0200 9/10/99, Kevin Smith wrote:
>>Greetings,
>>
>>Could someone help this Little Greek with the syntax of this expression:
>>hOTI PISTON ME hHGHSATO QEMENOS EIS DIAKONIAN
>>
>>My question pertains to the verb hHGHSATO and the participle QEMENOS. The
>>meaning is clearly something like, "because he considered me faithful and
>>appointed me to the ministry." But I would have expected hHGEOMAI to be a
>>participle and TIQHMI an indicative.
>
>Greek often (often enough, at any rate) reverses what to us seems the
>"natural" order of subordination, putting into the participle what we
>would put in the main verb and vice versa. I wouldn't object to the above
>translation, but if I wanted to convey the linkage of the participle and
>main verb as it stands in the original, I'd write: "because he considered
>me faithful when he appointed me to his service."

I would agree that both of these translations are posible. Kevin's
emphasizes parallel action (circumstantial) which is seen often enough in
expressions like EKHRUSSEN LEGWN . . . "he preached, saying . . ."

Carl's translation emphasizes the relationship of an aorist ptc. to the
aorist verb, but I think that there is another possibility, an instrumental
use. eg. Acts 16:16 "She brought her masters much gain by telling fortunes"
(MANTEUOMENH). Here it would say "because he considered me faithful by
appointed (me) for ministry." These two egs. are not exactly parallel but I
think that hHGHSATO can bear the weight.

Dr. Carlton L. Winbery
Foggleman Professor of Religion
Louisiana College
winbery@andria.lacollege.edu