To PAREDWKEN TO PNEUMA

From: rbrtp@friko4.onet.pl
Date: Fri Sep 10 1999 - 06:22:15 EDT

Good Morning!
I'm young B-Greekers. I wants to write some thoughts to Your question
concerning PAREDWKEN TO PNEUMA:

1. You wrote that You tend to hold to Raymond's Brown's view that Gospel
of John is a community composition of three generations. I think this
theory is not right. I have not time to discuss this problem but I
recommend the book from J.A.T. Robinson, The priority of John which
solve this problem in the right and deep way.

2.This is not right to drow to much conclusion from the word PAREDWKEN.
You wrote that what You found in L&N about range of usage is very
supportive for Your interpretation. I read this and my conclusions are
different:
a) PARADIDOMI with thing (2P2,21) -to instruct
b) PARADIDOMI with people-to hand over, to give over and so.I think that
in this group there exist subgrup which contains such expressions:
-PAREDWKEN TO PNEUMA
-PAREDWKEN THN YCHEN-Acts 15,26. This last example is similar to the
previous (to give over live in a metaforical way).In this statment is
clear for what but in previous John didn't wrote for whom because it was
clear. (Look at point 4)

3. We have not example for using PAREDWKEN TO PNEUMA in the sense of die
but:
- THE LACK OF EVIDENCE IS NOT THE EVIDENCE FOR LACK. For example there
are many examples of usage in Lat. Reddere Animmam (I C. BC to I C. AC).
Maybe this is a hint that this expression existed also in Greek
Language.
-Another possibility is to look for hebrew expressions for death or to
give over spirit for example in Ps.31 (30),6. John was Semite and it is
maybe semitism. I can't check it.

4. Edgar Krenz wrote:"With PARADIDWMI one must ask, to whom? The only
answer I can come to is to Jesus' mother and the disciple whom he loved,
i.e. to people at the foot of the cross. I do not see any possibility of
it being equkal to the EXEPNEUSEN elsewhere."

I will also put this question to whom? But my answer is against
different: To GOD!
Like in Lk. 23,46 PATER EIS CHEIRAS SOU PARATITHEMAI TO PNEUMA MOU .
I see great importence to compere this vers from John 19,30 with
anothers Synoptics, because it is clear that they wrote about his death
and not about something else. It is not rigt to lessen (diminish) the
meaning of Jesus death, because it was also very importent to write
that Jesus really died and not it was only play.
The words EXEPHNEUSEN and PARADIDWMI are different but the contet is the
same : it refers to the death of Jesus.

5. I thinks it is not right to see any connections between Jn.19 and 20.
In John 19,30 is spoken about Jesus death and in John 20,21-23 about
symbolical transmission of Holy Spirit. I say symbolical because it
wasn't really transmission because the disciples get the Holy Spirit
only during Pentacostels (Acts 2)
Besides Jesus spoke about sending of Holy Spirit and not about sendings
(Plural). Compare for example John 14,26; Acts 1,4-5. The coming of
Holy Spirit this is specific events in our history. From this point of
time (Acts 2) starts church (his existing).

Sincerelly
Robert Piorewicz
rbrtp@friko4.onet.pl