Re: To PAREDWKEN TO PNEUMA

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Sat Sep 11 1999 - 06:53:08 EDT

Dear Sir:

I want to thank you very much for your thoughtful comments concerning my
messages to B-Greek on John 19:30. I think that I understand your
perspective on this matter, but I am doubtful that we are going to come to
any agreement about it (although there are a few details on which we might
agree); the reason for this has more to do with some basic assumptions you
make which are quite different from basic assumptions which I make. These
assumptions fall into two categories: (1) assumptions about the dating of
John's gospel: you evidently believe that it was completed in the early
part of the first century, while I believe what I think remains the
scholarly consensus on the question, that it was completed within a decade
of the end of the first century; (2) assumptions about the relationship of
John's gospel to other New Testament texts; my own belief is that John's
gospel expresses a very distinct conception of Jesus' death and
resurrection and giving of the spirit that cannot be brought into any
simple harmony with the conception of Jesus' death and resurrection and
giving of the spirit expressed in the Synoptic Gospels and Acts. To clarify
that, let me say that I do NOT mean that there is a serious theological
discrepancy between what John's gospel tells and what the Synoptic Gospels
and Acts tell, but rather that the harmony must be found on a higher level
of theological equivalence, NOT on the level of chronological detail where
there really is a serious discrepancy, in my view.

Since I do not think we are likely to come to an agreement over these
matters, what I intend to do in my response to you below is to try to
clarify precisely where I hold different opinions from yours, and then I
shall append to the end of the message some off-line correspondence that I
had with Nigel Hanscamp, a gentleman in New Zealand, earlier this year in
May and July; some of this overlaps with what you've read of my on-line
correspondence on B-Greek, but much of it is expanded and clarified. I am
not supposing that you will find it convincing, but I do hope that it may
make my own understanding of these matters a little bit clearer to you.

In what follows therefore, I shall respond briefly to some of your points,
and at the end I'll append that other material.

-----------------------------------
At 12:22 PM +0200 9/10/99, rbrtp@friko4.onet.pl wrote:
>Good Morning!
>I'm young B-Greekers. I wants to write some thoughts to Your question
>concerning PAREDWKEN TO PNEUMA:
>
>1. You wrote that You tend to hold to Raymond's Brown's view that Gospel
>of John is a community composition of three generations. I think this
>theory is not right. I have not time to discuss this problem but I
>recommend the book from J.A.T. Robinson, The priority of John which
>solve this problem in the right and deep way.

Quite frankly, I have never found Robinson's arguments about the dating of
NT texts very convincing; I continue to hold, with what I believe is the
great majority of NT scholarship, that the gospel belongs to the very last
decade of the first century.

>2.This is not right to draw to much conclusion from the word PAREDWKEN.
>You wrote that what You found in L&N about range of usage is very
>supportive for Your interpretation. I read this and my conclusions are
>different:
>a) PARADIDOMI with thing (2P2,21) -to instruct
>b) PARADIDOMI with people-to hand over, to give over and so.I think that
>in this group there exist subgrup which contains such expressions:
>-PAREDWKEN TO PNEUMA
>-PAREDWKEN THN YCHEN-Acts 15,26. This last example is similar to the
>previous (to give over life in a metaphorical way).In this statment is
>clear for what but in previous John didn't wrote for whom because it was
>clear. (Look at point 4)

Two points here: (1) I think it is quite common for words in John's gospel
to carry more than one sense at the same time; the most notable example of
this is perhaps the use of ANWQEN GENESQAI in chapter 3, the discussion
between Jesus and Nicodemus; other distinct instances are John's particular
usage of DOXAZW and hUPYOW; (2) I think that PAREDWKEN TO PNEUMA in John
19:30 has these two senses: (a) "die" = Latin REDDERE ANIMAM, and (b)
"transmit," "transfer possession of a thing from one holder to another or
others"--as in those NT instances where Paul talks about a tradition
(PARADOSIS) that he is handing on to others (e.g. 1 Cor 15:3). So I think
that the surface meaning in John 19:30 is "die" but that there's a
secondary sense of "transmit (the spirit)."

>3. We have not example for using PAREDWKEN TO PNEUMA in the sense of die
>but:
>- THE LACK OF EVIDENCE IS NOT THE EVIDENCE FOR LACK. For example there
>are many examples of usage in Lat. Reddere Animam (I C. BC to I C. AC).
>Maybe this is a hint that this expression existed also in Greek
>Language.
>-Another possibility is to look for hebrew expressions for death or to
>give over spirit for example in Ps.31 (30),6. John was Semite and it is
>maybe semitism. I can't check it.

I agree with you on this point. It could be a Semitism, but we know that
there's a parallel expression in Latin, and I am inclined to think that
Latin idiom has had considerable impact on Koine Greek usage.

>4. Edgar Krenz wrote:"With PARADIDWMI one must ask, to whom? The only
>answer I can come to is to Jesus' mother and the disciple whom he loved,
>i.e. to people at the foot of the cross. I do not see any possibility of
>it being equal to the EXEPNEUSEN elsewhere."
>
>I will also put this question to whom? But my answer is against
>different: To GOD!
>Like in Lk. 23,46 PATER EIS CHEIRAS SOU PARATITHEMAI TO PNEUMA MOU .
>I see great importence to compere this vers from John 19,30 with
>anothers Synoptics, because it is clear that they wrote about his death
>and not about something else. It is not rigt to lessen (diminish) the
>meaning of Jesus death, because it was also very importent to write
>that Jesus really died and not it was only play.
>The words EXEPHNEUSEN and PARADIDWMI are different but the contet is the
>same : it refers to the death of Jesus.

I don't think you saw all of Edgar Krentz's argument; it's included in the
appended material; Edgar thought the evidence supported me, but I don't
expect this argument about the double meaning of PAREDWKEN to be convincing
to everybody. One factor that I think is in favor of my view is the fact
that there is a parallelism, in the last several chapters of John, between
the mission of Jesus and the mission of the the disciples: "As the Father
has sent me, so I send you ..."

>5. I thinks it is not right to see any connections between Jn.19 and 20.
>In John 19,30 is spoken about Jesus death and in John 20,21-23 about
>symbolical transmission of Holy Spirit. I say symbolical because it
>wasn't really transmission because the disciples get the Holy Spirit
>only during Pentacostels (Acts 2)
>Besides Jesus spoke about sending of Holy Spirit and not about sendings
>(Plural). Compare for example John 14,26; Acts 1,4-5. The coming of
>Holy Spirit this is specific events in our history. From this point of
>time (Acts 2) starts church (his existing).

Quite honestly I think this is an illegitimate way of harmonizing the
different statements of different gospels about the giving of the spirit.
It is quite true that Luke in Acts offers an account of the coming of the
spirit on Pentecost in Jerusalem; it is also true that Matthew in chapter
28 gives an account of Jesus meeting with the disciples and others in
Galilee on an unnamed mountain after his resurrection and commissioning
them and telling them, "I shall be with you always ..." My own belief is
that the commissioning accounts in John 20, Matthew 28, and Acts 2 are
parallel but different formulations of the same tradition--and I don't
think we should attempt to argue for the historical probability of details
of chronology in any one of these accounts over the other by asserting that
one is strictly historical while another is symbolic. I realize that a much
neater, intelligible chronology comes out of Luke's perspective, but the
more important thing to me is what the three accounts (Matthew, Luke in
Acts, and John) have in common: a transmission--from Jesus to believers--of
authority and power and ongoing unbroken relationship with God through
Christ. So I see no need to subordinate the details of John 20 to the
details of Acts 2 or Matthew 28.

There's one additional argument in the material that I am appending below
that you might consider, and that is the pretty clear link between the
Greek words used for the "breathing" of Jesus on the disciples as he says
LABETE TO PNEUMA and the Greek words of the LXX account of God's
"breathing" into the first human being to make him alive.

What follows then below the double-dotted line is earlier correspondence
from this year.