off list

From: Mark Markham (markhamm@topsurf.com)
Date: Tue Sep 14 1999 - 07:33:09 EDT

Carl,

What I see here is like I proposed last week-- speak as in prophecy or
tongues etc. It is consistent with Paul's writings to Timothy not to allow
women to teach or usurp authority from the man. He seems to state it is not
a matter of custom but one or arranged order rank or authority. Why is it
a such problem to be honest with the text here in 1 Cor 14:34? And later in
this chapter he claims these were the commandments of the Lord. Not social
traditions, customs etc. The Greek poses no problem here. Could the problem
be reading things into the text?

Grace,

Mark Markham
Heidelberg, Germany