Re: 1 Cor 14:34 -- LALEIN (offlist)

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Tue Sep 14 1999 - 09:15:07 EDT

At 1:33 PM +0200 9/14/99, Mark Markham wrote:
>Carl,
>
>What I see here is like I proposed last week-- speak as in prophecy or
>tongues etc. It is consistent with Paul's writings to Timothy not to allow
>women to teach or usurp authority from the man. He seems to state it is not
>a matter of custom but one or arranged order rank or authority. Why is it
>a such problem to be honest with the text here in 1 Cor 14:34? And later in
>this chapter he claims these were the commandments of the Lord. Not social
>traditions, customs etc. The Greek poses no problem here. Could the problem
>be reading things into the text?

Dear Mark,

Let me respond with the text of a message I wrote yesterday in response to
another off-list message to me making assertions somewhat similar to what
you're making (I don't want to cite that person's message without asking
permission, but I don't think I need to cite it: essentially the claim was
that Paul is uniformly consistent throughout the Pauline corpus on issues
generally and certainly on this issue of the status and authority of women
in the church. What this comes down to ultimately is a question of one's
hermeneutics: how one reads the Biblical text and how one goes about
seeking to understand how it bears on the issues of one's own time. The
person who wrote me was utterly convinced, as apparently you are, that
there's no other way to read the Biblical text than to see women as
excluded from any leadership role in the church; I am NOT convinced at all
that one must read the Biblical text that way. While I don't expect that
you'll agree with me, I would like to make clear to you the assumptions
from which I am approaching the text--so here's what I wrote yesterday in
response to the assertion in question:

Best regards, cwc

cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu