the unprofitable servant

From: Bryan Rocine (brocine@earthlink.net)
Date: Wed Sep 15 1999 - 23:42:19 EDT

Dear B-Greeks,

Lev 25:39-46 makes the distinction between the treatment of
a bondslave and a hired servant or sojourner (see also Deu
15:12-18). I gather that the distinguishing condition of
the bondslave is that he works with great rigour and without
any reward other than sustenance. I think the bondslave is
generally "in for life." Is Christ's reference to an
unprofitable servant in Luke 17:7 a specific allusion to the
type of bondslave mentioned in Lev? The Liddell-Scott does
not make any such reference to the use of an idiom such as
DOULOI ACREIOI, but I thought someone on one of the lists
might know differently. BTW, Lev 25 in the LXX uses
OIKETHS.

Thanks!

doulos sou,
Bryan