1 Peter 3:7

From: John Barach (jbarach@telusplanet.net)
Date: Wed Sep 08 1999 - 19:49:10 EDT

Fellow B-Greekers:

Could any of you help me understand the syntax of 1 Peter 3:7? The
passage reads:

hOI ANDRES hOMOIWS SUNOIKOUNTES KATA GNWSIN hWS ASQENESTERWi SKEUEI TWi
GUNAIKEIWi APONEMONTES TIMHN hWS KAI SUGKLHPONOMOI CARITOS ZWHS EIS TO
MH EGKOPTESQAI TAS PROSEUCAS hUMWN.

I understand that the participle SUNOIKOUNTES is functioning as an
imperative here. The difficulty is understanding the two hWS clauses.

(1) I notice, for instance, that some translations and commentaries
treat both hWS clauses as modifying APONEMONTES TIMHN ("Giving honor to
the woman as the weaker vessel and as a co-heir of the gift/grace of
life").

(2) Some translations (e.g., NASB), however, treat hWS ASQENESTERWi
SKEUEI TWi GUNAIKEIWi as the indirect object of SUNOIKOUNTES ("Dwell
with [your wife] as a weaker vessel, since she is a woman").

Any help you could offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

John

John Barach (403) 317-1950
Pastor, Trinity Reformed Church (URCNA)