Re: Is TEMPUS A Part of Greek Grammar?

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Mon Sep 27 1999 - 07:48:39 EDT

OFF-LIST:

Dear Rod, I'm sorry you had to be subjected to this, perhaps primarily because I had replied originally to Jim West that you and others would surely want to get their 2c+ worth in on this matter. I would like to think this little tempest is over or at least in the mop-up stage, but as with Floyd, there's been some damage, most of it, I think, to Jim's precarious reputation for sanity. I hope that I've exposed to public view his frightful cynicism to which you to have alluded in the note you just posted. The most disturbing thing about this to me is that he's certainly not stupid even if he acts that way; it just seems to me that he fires off responses without thinking through what he really means and what the farther-reaching implications are of what he's hastily claiming. I don't think we're anywhere near the point that we're wanting to take disciplinary action against him, since he has expressed opinions rather than directly insulted anybody, but I wrote him on Saturday--particularly with respect to his re
sponse to you--that he is often terribly rude when he's trying to be funny and sometimes terribly funny when he's trying to be rude. And it bothers me too, as one who would like to claim to be "liberal," that for one who appears, at least superficially, to be a "liberal," he gives public exposure to a frightfully closed and unreflective mind.

I wish you well, as always, c