Re: Is TEMPUS A Part of Greek Grammar?

From: Rodney J. Decker (rdecker@bbc.edu)
Date: Mon Sep 27 1999 - 06:50:07 EDT

I returned to my study early this morning after a busy weekend and discover
that a TEMPUS has developed in the teapot! I read some comments that are
apparently directed towards the study of aspect, but honestly don't
recognize *some* of them as at all reflective of the discussion. Some even
think that the discussion apparently doesn't bother to deal with the text
but only with abstract speculation divorced from reality. Since such
comments appear to come from those whose mind is already made up and who
only come to the forum of b-greek to have their predispositions supported,
I will answer: Nope!

For those who are willing to consider the matter, I'll point out that
Porter's vol. on aspect contains 22 triple-col. pages of Scripture index to
the NT and another 15 to extra-NT texts. (One reviewer estimates that he
incorporates about 50% of the verses in the NT in his discussion; I haven't
tried to verify that, but it wouldn't surprise me.) Fanning's work has a
14-page index (also triple col.). But yes, the discussion needs to receive
more attention in extended portions of text. Which is why my diss. was
"Temporal Deixis of the Greek Verb _in the Gospel of Mark_ with Reference
to Verbal Aspect." I set my task to be that of determining if Porter's
theory was adequate to handle the actual data of an extended portion of
text. My conclusion? Yup.

Rod

Rodney J. Decker, Th.D. Baptist Bible Seminary
Assoc. Prof./NT PO Box 800, Clarks Summit, PA 18411
rdecker@bbc.edu http://faculty.bbc.edu/rdecker/
The *Resources for NT Study* site is accessible at:
http://faculty.bbc.edu/rdecker/rd_rsrc.htm