Re: Another articular infinitive

From: Jim West (jwest@Highland.Net)
Date: Fri Oct 15 1999 - 15:10:14 EDT

At 02:58 PM 10/15/99 -0400, you wrote:
> Michael Steinman's query was timely for me; I was just puzzling over a
>different instance of the articular infinitive in the genitive. 1 Clement
>13:1 gives a somewhat garbled citation of Jer 9:23-24 and / or 1 Sam 2:10
>(cf. 1 Cor. 1:31; 2 Cor. 10:17), LXX:
>
>... ALL' hO KAUXWMENOS EN KURIW KAUXASQW, TOU EKZHTEIN AUTON KAI POIEIN
>KRIMA KAI DIKAIOSUNHN.
>
> Here it doesn't seem to be expressing "purpose." Any suggestions?

I disagree. It seems to me that "but whoever boasts, let him boast in the
Lord, so that he might seek him and do justice and righteousness" is an
adequate rendering. Now the question is, how does one turn from boasting to
seeking- but thats a hermeneutical question rather than a grammatical one.
I would suggest that when one boasts or brags about God, psychologically
speaking, one is thereby motivated to honor the God one brags about by being
just and righteous.
One would, after all, not say "I have the best wife in the world" and then
go out the door and committ adultery. Likewise, when one "boasts" about God
one is much more likely to "make God proud" then the opposite.

Best,

Jim

>-- Bart Ehrman
>

>---
>B-Greek home page: http://sunsite.unc.edu/bgreek
>You are currently subscribed to b-greek as: jwest@highland.net
>To unsubscribe, forward this message to
leave-b-greek-329W@franklin.oit.unc.edu

Jim West, ThD
email- jwest@highland.net
web page- http://web.infoave.net/~jwest

'Mythology is what never was but always is.' Stephen of Byzantium