Re: Another articular infinitive

From: Carlton Winbery (winberyc@speedgate.net)
Date: Fri Oct 15 1999 - 18:52:15 EDT

Bart Ehrman wrote;

> Michael Steinman's query was timely for me; I was just puzzling over a
>different instance of the articular infinitive in the genitive. 1 Clement
>13:1 gives a somewhat garbled citation of Jer 9:23-24 and / or 1 Sam 2:10
>(cf. 1 Cor. 1:31; 2 Cor. 10:17), LXX:
>
>... ALL' hO KAUXWMENOS EN KURIW KAUXASQW, TOU EKZHTEIN AUTON KAI POIEIN
>KRIMA KAI DIKAIOSUNHN.
>
> Here it doesn't seem to be expressing "purpose." Any suggestions?

I think that this could be purpose, as Jim West has said. It could also be
result and it is often hard to tell the difference. The other possible
reading (from Jim's) could be to see AUTON as the subject of both
infinitives and KRIMA KAI DIKAIOSUNHN as the objects of the infinitives.
"But let the one who boasts boasts in the Lord so that he seeks and does
justice and righteousness."

Carlton

--

Dr. Carlton L. Winbery Foggleman Professor of Religion Louisiana College winbery@andria.lacollege.edu winbery@speedgate.net Ph. 1 318 448 6103 hm Ph. 1 318 487 7241 off