Re: 1 Cor 6:18

From: Jim West (jwest@highland.net)
Date: Sat Oct 02 1999 - 19:48:29 EDT

At 10:11 AM 10/3/99 +1300, you wrote:
>Hi
>
>1 Cor 6:18
> FEUGETE THN PORNEIAN PAN AMARTHMA
> O EAN POIHSH ANQRWPOS EKTOS TOU
> SWMATOS ESTIN O DE PORNEUWN EIS
> TO IDION SWMA AMARTANEI
>
>What a tricky verse (apart from the first two words).
> I would like to ask a couple of questions.
>
>Do EKTOS and EIS give the same sense as our
>"external" and "internal"?

They can- and here they sort of point in that direction. But "outside"
seems a bit better to me for ektos. And here I would render eis as "against".

>Is TO IDION SWMA ("his own body") clarifying
>the body referred to in TOU SWMATOS or is it
>contrasting this with some other body?

It refers to tou swmatos.

>(I know many commentators see one as the
>"one-body-many-members" body and the other as
>an individual body - but it looks to me like IDION
>is on the wrong body if this is so).

You are right to be hesitant to accept such a reading. Paul is clearly
thinking on an individual level here.

>Thanks
>
>Trevor and Margaret Nicholls
>e-mail: tmjpbn@ihug.co.nz

Best, and hows the Spring there in New Zealand?

Jim