Re: LINOKALAMHN

From: Bart Ehrman (behrman@email.unc.edu)
Date: Wed Oct 06 1999 - 14:44:48 EDT

   I'd like to thank people for their various responses so far. Let me
make one comment: I'm principally interested in what the text meant to
readers of the LXX in the first century (or early 2nd century) CE, not
about what, if anything, "actually" happened hundreds of years earlier.
I.e., my question is about what 1 Clement might have in mind, not about
social practices in Iron Age Palestine (these might be the same thing or
they might be radically different). Having said that, a question: does E.
W. Barber have any evidence to support her reading of Joshua, or is her
reading of Joshua the evidence? More important, does she give any
indication of the use of LINOKALAMHN for the purpose of weaving in first
century Rome?

   Again, many thanks,

-- Bart Ehrman