LINOKALAMHN

From: Bart Ehrman (behrman@email.unc.edu)
Date: Tue Oct 05 1999 - 14:42:39 EDT

   I Clement 12:3 paraphrases the LXX account of Rahab, indicating that
she hid the "spies" (should this be rendered "reconnaissance scouts? or
is that too much? Gk: [TWN KATASKOPWN]) under some LINOKALAMHN. "Flax"
isn't a word I ever hear used (apart from this passage!). Does anyone
have any firm ideas about what the substance actually is? Could it be
thatching straw? Or is it some kind of unspun linen?

-- Bart D. Ehrman