Re: John 6:29

From: Joe A. Friberg (JoeFriberg@email.msn.com)
Date: Sun Oct 10 1999 - 22:52:27 EDT

----- Original Message -----
From: David A Bielby <dbielby@juno.com>
Sent: Sunday, October 10, 1999 9:22 PM

> Thanks for the reply. What do you think then of translating this as an
> infinitive (NIV does this)? What are the grounds for that approach?

"the work of God is this: to believe in..."
The infinitive may make the action of believing more punctiliar, less
continuative. Another alternative occurs to me, which clearly conveys the
continuative:

"the work of God is this: believing in the one he has sent"

Joe F.

leave-b-greek-329W@franklin.oit.unc.edu