John 6:29

From: David A Bielby (dbielby@juno.com)
Date: Sun Oct 10 1999 - 16:29:33 EDT

Jn 6:29b
hINA PISTEUHTE EIS hON APESTEILEN EKEINOS

I'm translating the conjunction and the Present Active Subjunctive
functionally as 'to believe'. My questions are: Is there not a continuous
sense in this phrase...and if so, how can we bring that out without being
awkward in the translation?? Doesn't it seem that the english tends to
lose that continuous state connotation? How can we adjust for that?

Could it be translated "to always believe" or something like this?

Thanks for the input.

David Bielby
Vineyard Christian Fellowship
Bloomington/Normal, Illinois USA