Re: Book on steps to translating for beginners

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Tue Oct 12 1999 - 09:41:43 EDT

At 12:21 PM -0500 10/11/99, Gary Amirault wrote:
>Can anyone recommend a simple book or article (preferably public domain)
>which would show a person the steps one has to go through to do a
>translation into a common language, deciding which texts, availability of
>manuscripts, etc. I would like to have an aricle on my internet site which
>would show Christians what is involved in many a new translation. Most
>Christians do NOT know what is involved. Thanks

I don't know of any simple book or article, but there are actually abundant
GOOD resources on these problems and at least one active electronic
discussion list devoted to it:

Wayne Leman's very extensive resources and web links on Bible Translation
matters:
http://www.mcn.net/~wleman/bibletranslation.htm

United Bible Societies' Translation Information Clearing House
http://www.ubs-translations.org/public/tictalk/ubstichome.html

Bible Translation List homepage:
http://BibleTranslation.listbot.com/

FAQ for Bible Translation List: