Re: Matt 19:9

From: Steve Puluka (spuluka@hotmail.com)
Date: Mon Oct 04 1999 - 06:20:47 EDT

<x-flowed>>From: dixonps@juno.com
>To: spuluka@hotmail.com
>CC: b-greek@franklin.oit.unc.edu
>Subject: Re: Matt 19:9
>Date: Sun, 3 Oct 1999 16:51:41 -0700
>

>The question is, did the early church fathers understand the
>MH EPI PORNEIA of Mt 19:9 as denoting preterition (as excluding
>from consideration the case of PORNEIA) or as denoting the
>negation, that is, if a man divorced his wife because of PORNEIA,
>and remarried, then he did not commit adultery in so doing?
>
>I don't see anything in the translations cited below that suggests
>anything other than the preterition view.
>
>Paul Dixon

I'm not clear on this distinction, but perhaps we are on the same page. I
read the Patristic evidence as permiting the divorce only for fornication,
but not any further marriages for either party.

Beyond that I really can't speak to the grammer distinction on negation or
exclusion. Could you elaborate on this please?

Steve Puluka
Adult Education Instructor
Byzantine Catholic Archeparcy of Pittsburgh