Re: Jn 20.22

From: Steven Craig Miller (scmiller@www.plantnet.com)
Date: Wed Oct 13 1999 - 15:29:37 EDT

To: Joe A. Friberg,

Thank you for your nice post. Perhaps my problem is with the term
"effectual." My Merriam-Webster's Collegiate Dictionary (10th edition,
1997) defines "effectual" as meaning: "producing or able to produce a
desired effect."

Now the statement was made:

CWC: << LABETE is pretty simply, "Receive"; I would think the aorist used
here would indicate effectual reception ... >>

IMO the aorist imperative LABETE does NOT "indicate effectual reception."
The statement, quoted above, seems to imply that the mere command was able
to produce the desired effect. Perhaps such could be considered true on
account of some theological reason, but such cannot be true, IMO, of the
aorist imperative generally. IMO it is simply impossible for the aorist
here to "indicate effectual reception."

-Steven Craig Miller