Re: old new ms

From: Steven Craig Miller (scmiller@www.plantnet.com)
Date: Thu Oct 07 1999 - 13:42:23 EDT

Dave Scarpino,

<< When comparing the KJV and NIV in Matt 5:44 there is such a differance
in the number of words used. I understand the differance between older and
newer ms, but can someone tell me where I can see these ms's and compare
for myself. >>

(Please forgive me if I've misunderstood the nature of your question.) The
first place to start is Nestle-Aland's "Novum Testamentum Graece" (27th
edition). This will tell you which MSS read what. Do you have NA27?

The NIV reads: "But I tell you: Love your enemies and pray for those who
persecute you" (Mt 5:44 NIV). As the NIV notes, some MSS would support
adding: "..., bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you" (Mt
5:44 NIVmg). Oddly, the margin note for the NIV is incomplete. The NKJV
gives: "But I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do
good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you and
persecute you" (Mt 5:44 NKJV), which represents a translation of the Textus
Receptus and the Majority Text.

-Steven Craig Miller (scmiller@www.plantnet.com)