Re: 1 Cor 7:12-16

From: Edgar Foster (questioning1@yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Oct 15 1999 - 13:32:33 EDT

Jonathan Robie <jwrobie@mindspring.com> writes:

>>It is interesting to relate this to 1 Cor 6:12-20,
where having sex with a temple prostitute becomes one
body with her, as opposed to one who is
joined to the Lord and one spirit with him. It is in
this context that we are told that our bodies are
temples of the holy spirit, and that we should glorify
God with our bodies. I wonder if "becoming one body"
with the believer is related to the sanctification
referred to in this verse.<<

I have a different question in light of the statement
above. I wonder if we can apply the various uses of
"you" in the 1 Cor. 6:19, 20 to the human SOMA. Could
not the passages "hUMWN/hUMIN . . . HGORASQHTE GAR
TIMHS DOXASATE DH TON QEON EN TWi SOMATI hUMWN" also
have reference to the EKKLHSIA. Thus, Paul would not
be saying that each Christian is a temple to the Lord,
but the entire EKKLHSIA is to glorify God as a body.
I.e., HUMWN/HUMIN appear to be plurals applied to the
Corinthians as a whole.

Edgar

=====
Edgar Foster