Re: 1 Timothy 2:11

From: dixonps@juno.com
Date: Fri Oct 15 1999 - 12:54:16 EDT

On Fri, 15 Oct 1999 11:19:37 -0500 "Carl W. Conrad"
<cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu> writes:

> The relevant Greek text of 1 Tim 2:12 is DIDASKEIN DE GUNAIKI OUK
> EPITREPW ..., wherein indeed the dative form GUNAIKI must be the direct

> complement of EPITREPW (which verb does require a dative rather than an

> accusative) and the infinitive DIDASKEIN must go along with OUK
EPITREPW
> GUNAIKI. The upshot is, regardless of whatever else one may want to say
or not
> say about this portion of the verse, the KJV rendering of it as "I
suffer not
> a woman to teach ..." is accurate enough in 17th century English, but I

> think most modern translators would change "suffer" to "allow" or
"permit."

Just coming off the Mt 19:9 discussion I find the use of EPITREPW here
in 1 Tim 2 especially interesting, since it is the word used by Christ
to correct the Pharisees use of ENETEILATO. They said Moses
commanded the bill of divorcement. Christ says He suffered, tolerated,
or permitted it.

In 1 Tim 2:12 Paul does not even suffer a woman to teach or hold authority over a man. Moses suffered divorce. Paul did not suffer a woman to do either.

Paul Dixon

.