Re: 1 Timothy 2:11

From: Christopher Hutson (crhutson@salisbury.net)
Date: Fri Oct 15 1999 - 17:00:40 EDT

>From: "Michael Steinman" <MikeSteinman@Juno.com>
>
>1 Timothy 2:11-12 reads as follows in the King James Version:
>Let the woman learn in silence with all subjection. But I suffer not a
>woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence.
>I was advised by an acquaintance that this passage is not translated
>properly from the original Greek. She bases her view on the grammatical
>rule the an infinitive must take an accusitive object. She states that
>"women" (GUNAIKI)is not in the accustive form so the infinitive "to teach"
>(DIDASKEIN)cannot refer to woman. Another source, who I feel is much more
>knowledgable of the language, explains that(GUNAIKI) is the object of the
>verb "to allow (suffer)" (EPITREPW)and this verb always takes a dative
>object. As a result GUNAIKI could not be in the accusitive. He advised
>that the KJV translation is correct. My investigation to date supports the

>latter view, however, I would appreciate any further clarification.

Yes, Michael, GUNAIKI is the object of EPITREPW. The other piece of the
puzzle you need is to understand that the infinitive often follows a verb of
seeing, perceiving, saying, indicating, and so forth. To understand the
grammar of the infinitive in such a construction, look at BDF ¤397, and/or
Smyth ¤¤1991-2000. Then check LSJ for usages of EPITREPW. You will see
that EPITREPW could be used with either a dative or accusative object plus
an infinitive.

XPIC

Christopher R. Hutson
          Hood Theological Seminary