Re: Jn 16.13

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Mon Oct 18 1999 - 06:54:48 EDT

At 7:48 PM +1300 10/18/99, N & RJ Hanscamp wrote:
>Jn 16.13
>OU GAR LALHSEI AF hEAUTOU ALL OSA AKOUSEI LALHSEI KAI TA ERXOMENA ANAGGELEI
>(UMIN.
>
>Is there a big difference in this passage between LALHSEI and ANAGGELEI. I
>know that the idea of reporting what was already said lies behind ANAGGELEI,
>but that idea has already been expressed. Is it possible that the author is
>just choosing another word to avoid repetition, or is there another reason
>for his choice.

I don't think so. LALEW is a pretty regular Koine verb equivalent to the
older (and still current) LEGW, "say," "speak." ANAGGELLW would have to
mean not simply speak but "repeat an announcement" or "forward an
announcement." So, although I think you might reasonably say that the two
clauses are parallel in their basic sense: (1. 'he won't speak on his own
but say what he hears' and 2. 'he will report back what is to come'), I'd
have to say that the last clause, although it still maintains the notion
that the content of his message is not his own, says considerably more
about the content of what the Paraclete will say.

cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu