Re: 1 Cor 12:11

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Wed Oct 27 1999 - 10:26:00 EDT

At 8:58 AM -0500 10/27/99, dbielby@juno.com wrote:
>PANTA DE TAUTA ENERGEI TO hEN KAI TO AUTO PNEUMA DIAIROUN IDIAi hEKASTWi
>KAQWS BOULETAI

I've corrected the transcription to reflect long vowels and iota subscripts
according to UBS4.

>Question: What syntax rules govern who is willing in this verse. (How do
>we know BOULETAI is not referring to the ones receiving these things
>instead of the one giving these things).

The subject of ENERGEI is TO hEN KAI TO AUTO PNEUMA; DIAIROUN is a neuter
ptc. in agreement with that subject, and I can't see how KAQWS BOULETAI,
since it depends upon DIAIROUN, can refer to anything else. Hence: "It is
one and the same spirit achieve all these effects, distributing them
individually to each as it (the spirit) wishes." I can't see here, at any
rate, any way of understanding that the individual referred to by hEKASTWi
has any say in the matter of how the distribution is carried out; to convey
that sense, I think the text would need to be written ... DIAIROUN IDIAi
KAQWS hEKASTOS BOULETAI ... ("distributing acording as each person wishes").

cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu