Re: 1 Cor 12:11

From: Ben Crick (ben.crick@argonet.co.uk)
Date: Wed Oct 27 1999 - 13:12:34 EDT

On Wed 27 Oct 1999 (08:58:45), dbielby@juno.com wrote:
> Question: What syntax rules govern who is willing in this verse. (How
> do we know BOULETAI is not referring to the ones receiving these things
> instead of the one giving these things).

 Dear David,

 If I may re-transliterate your citation:

 PANTA DE TAUTA - direct object
 ENERGEI - verb
 TO hEN KAI TO AUTO PNEUMA - subject
 DIAIROUN - participle modifying the Subject
 IDIAi hEKASTWi - indirect object
 KATHWS BOULETAI - adverbial clause modifying the Subject

 It does not seem likely that the phrase KAQWS BOULETAI should modify the
 Indirect Object. If hEKASTOS were intended as the subject of BOULETAI, then
 the construction would have to have been expanded to indicate this; e.g.
 DIAIROUN IDIAi hEKASTWi KAQWS *hEKASTOS* BOULETAI.

 The whole thrust of this chapter is that the Holy Spirit is sovereign in the
 matter of the distribution of the CARISMATA, and does what He wills, not what
 we might wish him to do. Desire earnestly the best gifts (verse 31); but be
 content with such things as you have (Philippians 4:11).

 ENERGEI refers back to QEOS hO ENERGWN in verse 6. Likewise PANTA DE TAUTA
 refers back to TA PANTA, and IDIAi hEKASTWi to EN PASIN in verse 6. The
 whole passage is a unity. IMHO...

 ERRWSQE
 Ben

--