Re: the second subjunctive John 15:8

From: Steven Craig Miller (scmiller@www.plantnet.com)
Date: Fri Oct 29 1999 - 10:04:16 EDT

<x-flowed>To: Jay Adkins,

I suspect that the problem is that some translations (at Jn 15:8) are
reading GENHSQE (aorist subjunctive) while others are reading GENHSESQE
(future indicative).

<< My question is about the second subjunctive (GENHSQE) and how it should
be considered. Should it be treated much like the first one (FERHTE) or
since it is separated by a KAI considered as a "normal" subjunctive? Or due
to context should it be considered in some other fashion? My guess is that
it is still a part of the purpose or reason and should be translated
something like: "In this My Father is glorified, that you bear much fruit
and become my disciples." >>

You're absolutely correct. But if one read GENHSESQE (instead of GENHSQE)
then one might translate: "In this my father is glorified: that you bear
much fruit, and (so) you will become my disciples."

A more idiomatic translation (reading GENHSQE) might be:

"My father's reputation is this: that you bear much fruit and become my
disciple" (Jn 15:8).

-Steven Craig Miller
Alton, Illinois (USA)
scmiller@www.plantnet.com

"God does not exist. He [sic] is being-itself beyond essence and existence.
Therefore, to argue that God exists is to deny him" (Paul Tillich,
"Systematic Theology," 1:105).