Re: LEH - Lexicon of the LXX

From: Steven Craig Miller (scmiller@www.plantnet.com)
Date: Fri Nov 26 1999 - 17:29:14 EST

<x-flowed>To: Clayton Stirling Bartholomew,

<< My comments on TROCOS in Psalm 77:19 (76:19) need some revision. This
word is a good example to illustrate the difficulties one is up against
when doing lexical analysis in the LXX. >>

I've enjoyed all your posting on this subject, but this last bit starts to
make your original criticism of LEH look more like a quibble. Hans-Joachim
Kraus translates the Hebrew text of Ps 77:18 literally as: "The thunder of
your roaring through the wheel." And "wheel" is precisely the definition
mentioned in LEH under the Greek term TROCOS.

-Steven Craig Miller
Alton, Illinois (USA)
scmiller@www.plantnet.com

"... it is widely agreed that the sociological condition that most
distinguishes modern Western societies from others (those considered
premodern or traditional, and those of Asia, Africa, and the Latin American
forests and highlands) is that modern ones are organized around the
expectation of continuous change and growth" (Charles Lemert, "Social
Things: An Introduction to the Sociological Life," 1997:67).