Re: LEH - Lexicon of the LXX

From: Ben Crick (ben.crick@argonet.co.uk)
Date: Fri Nov 26 1999 - 17:34:26 EST

On Fri 26 Nov 1999 (12:47:44), c.s.bartholomew@worldnet.att.net wrote:
> In my last post I raised the question, what words were available to the
> translator of this Psalm to render GLGL as "whirlwind?"

 ISTM that Joshua 5:9 may provide a definition for GiL:GaL.

 HaYYoWM GaLLoWTiY 'eT-CeR:PaT MiTs:RaYiM Me`a:LeYKeM
 EN THi SHMERON hHMERAi AFEILON TON ONEIDISMON AIGUPTOU AF' hUMWN
 This day have I rolled away the reproach of Egypt from off you.

 WaYYiQ:Ra' $eM HaMMaQoWM HaHuW' GiL:GaL `aD HaYYoWM HaZZeH.
 KAI EKALESE TO ONOMA TOU TOPOU EKEINOU GALGALA. [---]
 Therefore the name of the place is called Gilgal to this day.

 Here the pun is on GaLLoWTiY (Qal perfect of GaLaL), I have rolled away,
 and GiL:GaL, a noun for a Wheel, or something that spins and lifts something
 away (a 'Twister'?), from the Pilpel (intensive) of the same root GaLaL.

 When Elijah was taken up in to heaven by a whirlwind SUSSEISMWi BaS:`aRaH,
 notice that it was from that same place, *Gilgal* (4 Kings 2:1,11 LXX).
 Was this another local 'twister'?

 So coming back to Psalm 77:18 [19 MT; 76:18 LXX]: the MT has GiL:GaL, which
 the LXX translates as TROCOS (EN TWi TROCWi). The KJV paraphrases 'in the
 heaven'; but the RSV and NIV etc correctly render 'in the whirlwind'.
 Jerome in his Vulgate gives us /vox tonitrui *in rota*, etc./, preserving
 the "circular storm" idea inherent in GiL:GaL.

 Thanks for an interesting question.

 ERRWSQE
 Ben

--