Eph 4:13 - EIS...

From: Roe (d.roe@t-online.de)
Date: Mon Nov 29 1999 - 06:45:24 EST

Hi B-Greeks,

I take the three clauses of Eph. 4:12, having the prepositions "PROS...
EIS... EIS..." to be successive, having, in this regards, a meaning
approximate to the generally loose translation of the NIV:

"to prepare God's people for works of service, so that the body of
Christ may be built up"

While my interpretation may already warrant correction, my question
actually concerns verse 13:

"MECRI KATANTHSWMEN OI PANTES

EIS THN hENOTHTA THS PISTEWO KAI THS EPIGNWSEWS TOU UhIOU TOU QEOU

EIS ANDRA TELEION

EIS METRON hHLIKIAS TOU PLHRWMATOS TOU CRISTOU"

Must these clauses beginning with EIS, especially the second and third,
be in apposition to a former clause, or is it possible to translate also
this verse successively, interpreting EIS in the sense of (Moule's)
"'with a view to,' or 'resulting in'"?

Thanks for any input,

David

D. W. Roe