Re: Eph 4:13 - EIS...

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Mon Nov 29 1999 - 09:04:55 EST

At 12:45 PM +0100 11/29/99, Roe wrote:
>Hi B-Greeks,
>
>I take the three clauses of Eph. 4:12, having the prepositions "PROS...
>EIS... EIS..." to be successive, having, in this regards, a meaning
>approximate to the generally loose translation of the NIV:
>
>"to prepare God's people for works of service, so that the body of
>Christ may be built up"
>
>While my interpretation may already warrant correction, my question
>actually concerns verse 13:
>
>"MECRI KATANTHSWMEN OI PANTES
>
>EIS THN hENOTHTA THS PISTEWS KAI THS EPIGNWSEWS TOU hUIOU TOU QEOU
>
>EIS ANDRA TELEION
>
>EIS METRON hHLIKIAS TOU PLHRWMATOS TOU CRISTOU"
>
>Must these clauses beginning with EIS, especially the second and third,
>be in apposition to a former clause, or is it possible to translate also
>this verse successively, interpreting EIS in the sense of (Moule's)
>"'with a view to,' or 'resulting in'"?

I would be much more inclined to construe each of these EIS phrases in 4:13
with KATANTHSWMEN, which seems to suggest a process of growth toward a
maturity spelled out in each of these accusative expressions: THN hENOTHTA
THS PISTEWS ..., ANDRA TELEION, and METRON hHLIKIAS TOU PLHRWMATOS TOU
CRISTOU. That is, KATANTAW here seems to me to suggest a growth-movement
INTO a formal state indicated by each of these terms as a sort of paradigm.

cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu