(off topic) Texas is the king of the "mispronounced" place names (was Re: BAGD2)

From: Perry L. Stepp (plstepp@flash.net)
Date: Mon Nov 29 1999 - 11:23:20 EST

When it comes to "mispronounced" place names, Texas is king. We have some
real doozies, most of which don't follow any particular rules of
pronunciation (i.e., you can't explain the pronunciation simply by pointing
to ethnic origin.) Texas has: Mexia (muh-HAY-a), Bourne (BUR-nee), Refugio
(re-FUR-ee-o), Bexar (BAY-er) county, Montague (MON-tayg) county, etc.

Have you ever driven through Texas, especially through the small towns? If
not, you likely won't understand this joke:

A yankee woman was traveling through Texas by car, and stopped at a burger
joint in Mexia for lunch. She went to the girl at the counter, and asked,
"How do you pronounce the name of this place?" The girl looked at the woman
like she (the woman) was incredibly stupid, then very slowly and carefully
intoned, "Day-ree-Queen."

PLS