Re: First year grammar

From: Steven Craig Miller (scmiller@www.plantnet.com)
Date: Wed Nov 24 1999 - 22:41:51 EST

<x-flowed>To: Mark Gibbs,

<< Question: I would like to take a survey of the B-Greek participants as
to the recommendation for first year Greek text... >>

My personal opinion is that students of NT Greek should study from a
grammar which aims to teach ancient Greek generally rather than from a
grammar which aims to teach ancient Greek limited to just the NT text. I
would recommend something like: "Athenaze: An Introduction to Ancient
Greek" by Maurice Balme and Gilbert Lawall (Oxford UP).

My first year was from "Reading Greek" by the Joint Association of
Classical Teachers (Cambridge UP), which would be a good alternate if one
didn't like the "Athenaze" course. My third semester was reading the Gospel
of John. My fourth semester was reading "Medea" by Euripides. I had the
good fortune to be attending a Jesuit university, so in addition to reading
Homer, Sophocles, Plato, etc., one semester we read "The Oecumenical
Documents of the Faith" by T. Herbert Bindley and F. W. Green, which
included various early creeds (e.g. the Nicene Creed), the Chalcedonian
Definition, and three letters from Cyril to Nestorius.

-Steven Craig Miller
Alton, Illinois (USA)
scmiller@www.plantnet.com

"The pen is, indeed, mightier than the sword, fiction mightier than truth,
and belief more important to human motivation than knowledge" (Philip R.
Davies, "In Search of 'Ancient Israel,'" 161).